The following information describes the requirements and obligations of a credentialed minister, as well as the process for obtaining credentials. Applications for credentials with the Oregon Ministry Network of the Assemblies of God are welcomed.
The same spiritual qualifications shall be expected of the spouse of those seeking credentials. The Christian lifestyle of the spouse shall be compatible with the standards of the ministry.
A candidate should be certain that motives are proper in applying for the recognition of the Assemblies of God. A ministry anointed by the Holy Spirit will prove to be the best credential one can have.
The Assemblies of God Fellowship is founded on the principles of voluntary cooperation. Every applicant ought to feel that the organization of the Assemblies of God is the fellowship into which God has called them. They are to be one with these people and adhere to the same tenants of faith, principles, purposes and practices as those they now join. They must be committed to the fellowship, willing to not only share in its privilege and blessing, but willing to cooperate with its ministries. They must also be guided by, and when necessary, accept the discipline and direction of its leadership.
Efficient helpers in gospel work who devote a part of their time to Christian service and, whenever possible, remain under the supervision of a pastor, may be recognized as Certified Ministers.
Clear evidence of a divine call – a practical experience in preaching, together with an evident purpose to devote one’s time to preach the gospel.
Qualifications for Ordination are outlined in the New Testament Scriptures (I Timothy 3:1-7, Titus 1:7-9).
In addition, ordination candidates:
If a minister from another denomination desires to affiliate with the Assemblies of God, the Credential Committees of both the General Council and the Oregon Ministry Network are under no obligation to accept the applicant’s previous ministerial status. Each applicant shall be judged on his or her own merits as to the level of credentials to be granted.
Such applicants shall be required to:
1. Complete educational requirements and then contact the network office to initiate the process.
2. Interview with your local Presbyter in the section in which you reside. It is the Presbyter’s responsibility to provide the Network Secretary with a report and recommendation as to the result of the interview.
3. With a positive recommendation from the local Presbyter, an application will be forwarded to you by the Network Secretary. Return the completed application, recent photo and filing fee check made payable to:
Oregon Ministry Network
5745 Inland Shores Way N
Salem, Oregon 97305.
Certified Minister $127.00
This includes a mandatory background check fee of $27.00. The General Council requires this on all credential applicants.
4. The application will request the names of your pastor, ministers acquainted with your ministry background, friends and employers to be contacted for references. All references should know the applicant well enough to answer a comprehensive questionnaire.
5. A study guide along with the OMN Bylaws and GC Bylaws will be sent to you to assist you in preparing for the examination.
6. All applicants must pass a written examination in order to become eligible. Your Presbyter will administer the written examination. The Network Secretary will notify you in writing that all your references and materials have been received and you will be requested to contact your Presbyter and arrange a time and place for the test to be given. Applicants will be asked to use only their Bible during the examination.
7. Successful completion of the examination or educational requirements does not automatically ensure acceptance. Bible school graduates are not exempt from the examination.
8. Applicants for a Certificate of Ministry and License to Preach shall interview with the Credential Committee when they become available. Applicants for Ordination shall interview with the Network Presbytery during their December session at the network office.
All applicants are required to meet the following minimum study requirements either through a recognized and approved Bible school, college, institute or correspondence course. Transcripts are required. Berean courses may be either college or institute level. General Council basic educational requirements are:
Visit www.globaluniversity.edu for class descriptions and to enroll in courses. Due to the various changes made in educational requirements and Berean courses, the Oregon Ministry Network generally accepts an applicant’s classes under the program in which they begin. Therefore, if an applicant begins his/her coursework prior to these changes, he/she may complete their coursework according to the previous requirements under which they began.
The work of the General Council of the Assemblies of God, in its program of developing the spirit of cooperation and fellowship in home and foreign fields, incurs considerable expense, including the financial support of the national offices. Ministers should recognize their obligation to contribute monthly from their tithes, or as an offering, the following amounts:
Ordained $25 monthly or $300 per year
Licensed $20 monthly or $240 per year
Certified $10 monthly or $120 per year
Senior-Retired Free-will basis
Compliance with these requirements will be a prerequisite for renewal of credentials of all active ministers. If their contributions are in arrears, the credentialed minister shall be given an opportunity to meet their obligations when they renew.
Each credentialed minister affiliated with the Oregon Ministry Network shall pay as dues ten percent (10%) of their ministerial income, including housing. For those receiving no ministerial income the required is:
Ordained, Licensed or Certified $100 monthly
Exceptions: Appointed world missionaries’ financial support shall conform to the Assemblies of God World Missions Bylaws. General Council appointed U.S. missionaries, Chi Alpha personnel, and chaplains’ financial support shall conform to the corresponding standard of their governing bodies. Senior retired ministers and approved disabled ministers are exempt.
Note: Where both husband and wife are credentialed ministers, the second member in the family shall contribute a minimum of $25 per month, except where both receive ministry-related income, in which case each will contribute a tithe (ten percent).
Credentials from the General Council are to be renewed annually. Renewal forms are mailed in November each year and are to be completed and returned to the network office no later than December 31.
Ministers may renew their credentials online. Please visit: oregonag.org/renew
If a minister has not received their credential renewal by December 1 or needs additional help, please contact the Network Office. The Oregon Ministry Network and General Council Constitution and Bylaws state charges are as follows:
Annual Renewal fee for all Ministers: $25
Renewal fees if received after January 1: $25 to General Council & $25 to the OMN
Reinstatement Fee (for renewals after January 15): $50 to General Council & $100 to the OMN (A background check fee of $27.00 may also apply.)
When a minister moves from the Oregon Ministry Network they shall request their credentials to be transferred to the Credential Secretary. They will be issued a transfer unless: they are in arrears with ministerial tithes; there are definite charges against them or if there are other just causes for delay, as stated in General Council and Oregon Network Bylaws. Ministers transferring in to the Oregon Ministry Network from another district shall request a transfer from their former district within 60 days of taking up residence in the Oregon Ministry Network.
Applicants for reinstatement must complete an Application for Reinstatement provided by the Credential Secretary. If the applicant has been lapsed for two (2) years, they shall be required to furnish three (3) references. If the applicant has been lapsed for seven (7) years or more, they are required to take the written examination according to the status of credential for which they are applying.
Application fee is $177.00. Any monies outstanding at the time they lapsed or resigned would also be due.
5745 Inland Shores Way N
Keizer, OR 97303